Crispy breaded chicken, angel hair pasta, and an amazing lemon garlic butter sauce combine to make this knockout chicken scampi. It’s light, flavorful, and ready in less than 30 minutes!
If you’re a fan of classic shrimp scampi, you’re going to LOVE this chicken version! It has allll that garlic butter goodness you crave! If you’re looking for more quick and easy dinners that are packed with lemon garlic flavour, you’ve got to try this salmon piccata and chicken piccata as well.
Easy Skillet Chicken Scampi Recipe
Chicken scampi, also known as chicken escalopes or chicken cutlets, are thin pieces of meat that are breaded and pan-fried. They are typically served with a garlic butter sauce. (The luscious sauce is what makes chicken scampi so amazing!!) Scampi is most commonly made with veal or shrimp, but it can be made from any type of poultry. I personally love making it with chicken because I always have some on hand in my freezer!
Chicken scampi is delicious and so impressive, but takes less than 30 minutes to prepare! This is one of my go-to midweek dinners because of how incredibly easy it is. Not to mention, my family goes absolutely crazy over it! The foodies and picky eaters alike in your house will be raving. There’s just nothing better than the combination of crispy seared chicken, fresh veggies, and a bed of pasta all glazed in garlic butter!
Chicken Scampi Ingredients
Don’t let the lengthy list of ingredients deceive you, they’re all pantry staples! You can find measurements for each ingredient in the recipe card below.
- Angel Hair Paste: Angel hair pasta goes perfectly with oil and butter-based sauces. You can also swap this out for spaghetti or fettuccine noodles.
- Olive Oil: This is used for sauteing your vegetables in! I love the earthy flavor that olive oil adds, but you can definitely swap this out for your favorite cooking oil.
- Bell Peppers: I used red and yellow bell peppers because of their sweet flavor! I also like the pop of color that they add to the dish.
- Red Onions: Chopped red onion adds a hint of sharp, savory flavor, and extra texture throughout the scampi.
- Boneless Chicken Tenders: For easy prep, I like to buy boneless chicken tenders since they’re already the right size for cooking.
- Italian Seasoning: This blend of herbs and seasonings adds the BEST flavor to the chicken. You can buy this premade or make your own customized blend using my recipe here!
- Salt and Pepper: Add to taste, enhances the flavor of the overall dish.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is used to coat the chicken tenders in. It creates a light and crispy outer layer when cooked!
- Butter: Used for cooking the chicken in. It also adds extra richness and flavor!
- Minced Garlic: Garlic is the key to this flavorful sauce! It packs each bite of chicken, pasta, and veggies with amazing savory flavor.
- Dry White Wine: A splash of white wine like chardonnay or sauvignon blanc boosts the overall flavor of the chicken scampi.
- Lemon Juice: There really isn’t anything better than the combination of lemon and garlic. Add a squeeze of lemon juice for a hint of zesty flavor!
- Parsley: I love topping my dishes with fresh herbs. Parsley not only looks great as a garnish but adds extra flavor and aromatics, too!
- Grated Parmesan: Who doesn’t love a little grated parmesan on top? This really brings the dish together and adds a pop of cheesy flavour.
How to Make Chicken Scampi
Chicken scampi is one of my favorite meals to make for my family because it doesn’t only tastes incredible, but comes together in less than 30 minutes from start to finish! It’s beyond easy to make but tastes like it came from your favorite Italian restaurant.
- Cook Pasta: In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Saute Vegetables: In a medium-sized skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil, peppers and red onion. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Cook Chicken: Add one tablespoon butter to the skillet. Dredge your chicken in flour then season with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Add the tenders to the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side for 5-7 minutes. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- Add Sauce Ingredients: Add remaining butter and garlic. Cook garlic for about 1 minute and then stir in the white wine. Let it simmer and reduce. Add in fresh lemon juice and parsley.
- Combine and Serve: Add the pasta, peppers, and chicken to the sauce. Toss until coated and serve with grated parmesan cheese.
Tips and Variations
Here are a few ways you can customize your chicken scampi! I’ve also included some tasty sides to complete your meal. Between the crispy, golden chicken and buttery sauce, this has quickly become a favorite with my family. I’m sure you and yours will love it just as much!
- Use Chicken Breasts: You can definitely use chicken breasts instead of chicken tenders! I like to freeze chicken breasts in bulk so this is a great way to use up that stock. If frozen, let thaw overnight before use. Simply cut them in half before coating them with flour and seasonings and they’re ready to go!
- Add Spice: If you’re wanting to turn up the heat, try adding red pepper flakes to your garlic butter scampi sauce for a little kick!
- Serve With: I always like serving my chicken scampi with rolls or breadsticks. My kids love dipping their bread in the garlicky sauce! To complete your meal, you can also serve this dish alongside salads like this Italian chopped salad or Olive Garden-inspired salad.
Don’t throw away your leftover chicken scampi, it makes the BEST lunches throughout the week!
- In the Refrigerator: Store chicken scampi in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- Reheating: I like to reheat my scampi over the stove on medium heat until warmed through. You can also pop it in the microwave for 30-second intervals.
In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook to al dente. Drain and set aside.
In a medium sized skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil, peppers and red onion. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Remove and set aside on a plate.
Add one tablespoon butter to the skillet. Dredge your chicken tenders in flour and then season with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Add the tenders to the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side for 5-7 minutes. Remove and set aside on a plate.
Add remaining butter and garlic. Cook garlic for about 1 minute and then add the white wine. Let it simmer and reduce. Add in lemon juice and parsley.
Add the pasta, peppers, and chicken to the sauce. Toss until coated and serve with grated parmesan.
Calories742kcal (37%)Carbohydrates84g (28%)Protein38g (76%)Fat23g (35%)Saturated Fat9g (45%)Polyunsaturated Fat2gMonounsaturated Fat9gTrans Fat0.5gCholesterol103mg (34%)Sodium235mg (10%)Potassium851mg (24%)Fiber5g (20%)Sugar5g (6%)Vitamin A1566IU (31%)Vitamin C98mg (119%)Calcium66mg (7%)Iron3mg (17%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is only an estimate. Each recipe and nutritional value will vary depending on the brands you use, measuring methods and portion sizes per household.